March 12, 2010

Day 12 - Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid

Today's weight: 237.4

Well, yesterday's "apple day" was a huge success with a big 4.6 lbs drop.  However, looking at the chart, I was 237.6 lbs on Day 7, before I cheated.  If I had not cheated and kept with the trend of losing about 1.5 lbs a day, I would currently be 230 lbs!

A quick note - I don't take any other pills/supplements/vitamins while on the HCG diet except for the following:

You've probably never heard of Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid.  I've never heard of them either until a couple of years ago when I was building a daily vitamin list.  So here is both in a nutshell:


Acetyl-L-Carnitine:

One of the key uses of Acetyl L-Carnitine supplement is for fatty acid oxidation - helping users burn unwanted body fat. Fatty acids are one the key energy sources the body uses, and oxidation is the process by which they're broken down to create energy. The fatty acids cannot penetrate the inner mitochondia membrane (where they are burned for energy), and the key role for L-Carnitine is to transport fatty acids accross the mitochondra membrane to allow for oxidation of the fats.

It is present in many of the foods we eat, such as meats, vegetables, and grains, for example, beef has about 145mg of l-carnitine per every 100 grams.

Benefits of Acetyl-L-Carnitine:
  • Plays an important role in energy production
  • It helps in weightloss and as a fat burner
  • It transports long-chain fatty acids into the mitochondra to metablize to generate energy
  • Enhance cellular energy in the brain
  • Improve mental performance
  • Helps slow the effects of aging 
  • Decerases symptoms of depression
  • Helps prevent cataracts
  • Used to support all bodily functions that have a high energy demand


Alpha Lipoic Acid:

Alpha lipoic acid is a fatty acid found naturally inside every cell in the body.  It's needed by the body to produce the energy for our body's normal functions. Alpha lipoic acid converts glucose (blood sugar) into energy.

Alpha lipoic acid is also an antioxidant, a substance that neutralizes potentially harmful chemicals called free radicals. What makes alpha lipoic acid unique is that it functions in water and fat, unlike the more common antioxidants vitamins C and E, and it appears to be able to recycle antioxidants such as vitamin C and glutathione after they have been used up. 

Benefits of Alpha Lipoic Acid:
  • Alpha lipoic acid helps make vitamin C and E work better
  • ALA is a powerful antioxidant that fights free radicals
  • It's easily absorbed either from food eaten or from supplements 
  • Alpha lipoic acid helps increase glutathione which helps with detoxification
  • It helps protect the lens and retina of your eyes from degeneration, and also helps alleviate glaucoma
  • Alpha lipoic acid is used to treat and detox the liver


I am mentioning them because they're both found in a tablet which you can buy at GNC.  A bottle has 60 tablets and is roughly $20, it includes 500mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine and 200mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid.  I take these while on the HCG diet because together they do amazing things.  Most importantly, it helps oxidizes fat which helps burn it faster.  It also helps with energy, does some detox, and even lowers blood sugar.

So there you have it.  I recommend taking these because I think they provide a huge benefit for a very low cost ($20 a month = $0.66 a day).  I will probably be taking these the rest of my life along with the rest of my multi-vitamins I take daily.  All I can say is that right now, while taking these, I'm seeing results.  I know it isn't hurting my weight loss and it is entirely possible that it is helping.

3 comments:

JERSEY JEN said...

nicely said! Ironic enough i just started taking these yesterday! I have been researching alot of ways to lose weight and stay healthy! I was very happy when i came across an article describing the difference between diet pills and taking these! AlSo its recommended to take fish oil as well!!And yes i got mine AT GNC AS WELL!!

Anonymous said...

How many times a day do u take this?I want to try them myself.

Beejal Duncan said...

Nice post. Your information is really good. Thank you for sharing.........................

L carnitine

Post a Comment